(ThyBlackMan.com) There’s nothing in this world that’s better than loving and being loved, especially as we get older and retire. Here are a few ways to rekindle that spark that existed between you and your wife before a busy life began to get in your way…
1. Make believe this is the last day of your life, and you want your wife to know how you feel about her. Tell her you’re lucky to be married to her because there is nothing more important to a woman than knowing that she is important.
2. Be truthful. When you lie to your wife, everything else that you say or do will be tainted by it. By its nature, intimacy depends on an open and honest relationship between man and wife. Wives have the uncanny ability to see through lies, no matter how trivial. Your relationship with her will grow and prosper if the two of you have a relationship built on honesty.
3. Be your wife’s greatest supporter. She should always be able to rely on you. When in the presence of other, always back her up. If you disagree with her, discuss it with her when the two of you are alone. If you have offended her in any way, be quick to apologize, but do so honestly and sincerely.
4. Treat your wife as a partner. You should have done that when you were young, and maybe you were raising a family, but it will become more important as you grow older. For example, in matters of money, it may be easier to shoulder responsibility without her involvement. But since she will be directly affected by whatever decisions are to be made, she has every right to be involved. And you will feel better knowing that your partner has been in on the decisions and have accepted them.
5. Be honest and forthright. Regardless of how difficult it may be at times to admit a mistake, not doing so is far worse. By lying, you call into question your sincerity and truthfulness. Broken trust between husband and wife will live on, eroding the caring relationship the two of you should be sharing as you grow older together. No one is perfect, and admitting that you are wrong is a strength, not a weakness.
6. Try to understand her point of view, even if it differs from yours. Listen intently, and avoid imposing your will on her just because you think another way. If you are proven right, allow her to save face, because you must avoid winning a battle while losing a war.